Saturday, February 21, 2009

Still Wildlife


Last week we had a business trip... We drove from Ohio to Johnstown, PA. Along the way, we stopped to stretch our legs at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV. If you've never been, it's a huge outdoor outfitter store that is filled with camping, hunting and outdoor gear...



And lots and lots of taxidermied animals.


It's kinda like visiting the zoo. Except that none of the animals move. Which is a little sad. But also a very interesting experience because you have the opportunity to really appreciate the beauty of these magnificent animals up close. Way closer than you would get in real life. Way closer than I'm sure you would want to get in real life!


We actually spotted quite a few familiar-looking faces...

We saw the polar bear from Lost.
Ahhhhh!!! Scary! Look how huge it is! Save me, Sawyer!

We saw Mr. Beaver from The Chronicles of Narnia.
We saw Jacob from the Twilight series! (Unfortunately, Edward was nowhere to be found.)
We saw Bullwinkle. Scott made a rare photo appearance because he couldn't resist saying "Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"Yes, the rabbit is emerging from an orange hunting cap. Cabela's doesn't really carry formal wear such as top hats, and Scott left his at home.)

We saw Horton...I'm not sure that he's hearing much of anything these days though, much less a Who. But he is gorgeous and massive and it's amazing to stand next to him.
We saw Sabor (from Tarzan.) Wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley. But you've got to admit, she's got style!
And we saw Bambi. Lots of Bambi's.
Also................ they had a shooting gallery!OK, I know I'm totally exposing my inner hick here, but I do enjoy shooting a rifle. I got a taste for it in college out west and I'm actually a pretty good shot. I am very proud of the fact that I beat Scott at the shooting gallery!! (In his defense, we're not sure his gun was working properly. Riiiiight.)

So, the next time you get an itch to inspect a polar bear up close or to shoot at tin cans that whistle and spin when you hit them, I recommend Cabela's!

9 comments:

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

My kids LOVE Cabelas! There is one just over a half an hour away, a lot closer than the zoo and cheaper. And the fish are real. If I have errands to run anywhere near there, we will stop and let the kids stretch their legs.

Mamapierce said...

How cool is that? WOW.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Totally hilarious. I've been there once, but with four kids we spent most of the time saying things like, "No, get down, you're not supposed to climb in there!" We never even found the shooting range. Oh, if my husband had only known there was a shooting range . . .

Mommo said...

Scott actually let you post a photo of him? What is the world coming to?

nicole said...

You guys have too much fun together! I've often passed that place and wondered what it was all about. Thanks for the mini-tour! I'd love to check it out sometime.
I was really surprised to see a pic of Scott! Woo-hoo!

Jenn said...

Awesome!! We'll have to go target shooting sometime! I love that store...and I love your glasses!

Sarah C said...

We love Cabella's. There is one right by my mom's house. The kids have so much fun there. I loved your awesome pictures and the captions. You are funny.

Megan said...

Look at you and that gun, you are too cute! (ok,you know I'd never touch one of those things, but you are adorable!)
Brian and I love looking at the Cabelas catalog, he would have a hay day in that store!

Anonymous said...

Jen, I finally found your blog. I really like it!

There is a Cabelas we go into everytime we go to Michigan to visit Trent's family